Mon 10 Oct 05 18 °C
- My listening and reading comprehension is good. It's much easier than I expected - I think having done all that internet radio listening did me a lot of good. It's much easier to understand someone face to face and in an understood context than through RealAudio.
- I am frustrated, however, by my constant need to put together phrases in my head before speaking - the breaks necessary for me to do this make it difficult to hold a conversation. I am sure with practice, this will be better. I hope so, at least.
- All the things I thought I would enjoy about travelling alone were true - freedom of choice, no arguments, etc. - but I failed to foresee some pitfalls. First of all, eating at a restaurant by yourself is not much fun. You can only write so many postcards at the table before you start to feel uncomfortable. Second, I miss speaking English, a problem exacerbated by the lack of internet connection in Cividale. If I travel alone again, I will do so in hotels with wireless connections.
- Italian girls have a predilection for squeezing into pants that don't fit that would make even their American counterparts blush. There is no girl here so skinny that she won't buy jeans two sizes smaller and try to get into them. My current goal in life is to find out where they're buying the machines to get into their jeans, and bring them home to sell at a hefty profit.
- I have more diary-oriented stuff on my laptop back in Cividale that I will add, including pictures